Friday, April 03, 2009

More Details

So, I'm just about 12 weeks along now. This time around (also with Kendall), I didn't think I was pregnant.

I had taken a pregnancy test on either a Tuesday or Wednesday, and it came back negative. No big deal. Well, I went to a doctor the Friday after that to talk about some things that were going on with me, and he said he wanted me to take a blood test to see if I was pregnant, because I might be. I have to say, I was a little annoyed that he was saying this. I really wanted to be pregnant, but after getting that negative just days before, I knew I wasn't, and here he was getting my hopes up.

I went to the lab to get the blood test done. This was around 9 something that morning. They said the results would be back within an hour. The doctor had already told me that if it was positive, they would call me right away and let me know. If it was negative, they won't be in such a hurry to call.

Well, around 10:30 or so, I called the lab, and left a message telling them to call me with the results. I didn't hear anything the rest of that day. I figured that meant it was negative.

Monday morning around 8:30, I get a call from the base. She asked what kind of lab work I had done, and I told her. Then she said, "Well, it came back positive!" I'm pretty sure my first words were "Are you sure?" But I can't really remember, it's kind of all a blur to me. All I know is I was hysterically laughing and crying at the same time, to the point where she was like, "Um, is this a good thing?" To which I enthusiastically said, YES!!!

I was still a little hesitant believing it all until my first appointment, and I saw the litte, itty-bitty bean (to which Kendall either said "ball" or "baby." It's kind of the same word for her, but I like to think she's a genius, and she realized that it was, in fact, a baby).

And with how sick I've been lately, there's really no denying it. Yuck! I was pretty sick with Kendall, but I've been even more sick this time around. Hopefully that will ease up soon.


  1. Ahhh, the joy of military health care. That is a frustrating story...making you wait! But, it's good, no great! news!!! Maybe you'll feel better next week after the trimester mark. Let us know if you need anything. We'd be happy to watch Kendall for a bit so you can rest.

  2. I know I've already said it once, but congrats to you & your family! Kendall will be an awesome big sister!

  3. Anonymous12:05 PM

    CONGRATULATIONS!!!! That is wonderful news and we are happy for you and Grant and little Kendall. Debbi

  4. Anonymous12:26 PM

    Ditto Rachel, I had the same thing happen to me with Annabelle and they took 48 hours to call me for a test that took a few hours! So happy for you three!!!!!

  5. How exciting! Let us know if you need anything, we are just a phone call away :-) I was so sick with both kids that I can sympathize with you on that one, and I know that it only feels worse when you are chasing around a toddler, so don't hesistate to call if you need anything!

  6. Oh, sorry about the sickness, Kelly. I get that too, and I think whenever we're waiting on Baby No. 2, there is going to be a lot of Sesame Street happening for Kate. :) We're so excited for y'all!

  7. I just want it to go on record that I was a vault! A vault!

  8. We are so very excited for you guys! AWESOME!!!! :o)
    BTW - you said "The doctor...he..." does that mean you didn't call Dr. E? Or could she not see you in time? She's the rockin-est, awesome-est baby doc ever on the face of the whole earth. No lie.
    Congratulations, for sure! And I hope you're feeling better really soon!