Monday, May 18, 2009

Movin' and Shakin'

Well, last night, we experienced our first earthquake.

I was sitting on the couch, browsing the internet. Grant was in the recliner, talking to his brother. All of the sudden, I felt this kind of faint shaking - which, at first, I thought someone in the parking lot near us had their bass up really high. Then, it wasn't a faint shaking anymore. Our whole house was moving! I jumped up off the couch, because we have this picture collage over it, and I thought they were all going to fall off.

Grant was kind of smiling at first, but then he jumped up, too. We kind of just stood there for a second, and then I ran upstairs to go get Kendall.

Then it all stopped.

It only lasted about 10-15 seconds, but the amount of thoughts going through my head made it seem much, much longer.

So, I've heard different reports - some say it was a 4.7, others say is was a 5.0. Whatever it was, it was enough to scare us pretty good! In a sense, I'm glad I felt it, and that it wasn't substantial enough to cause any damage. But in another sense, it got me thinking about "the Big One," and how I hope it doesn't hit while we live here!

The epicenter was in Hawthorne, which is only about 15 miles away. Considering alot of the quakes in SoCal don't really hit right in Los Angeles, I think this woke alot of people up. Several people that have lived here most of their lives said this is one of the worst ones they've felt - probably just because of how close it was.

Grant's leaving for work now, and Hawthorne is just down the street from the base (remember that hotel we were staying at before we moved into our house last year? That was in Hawthorne). Makes me a little nervous, but I know he's in God's hands.

We didn't feel any aftershocks, which is great, because I don't know if I could've handled them.

Anyways, the good thing about this whole experience, is that I know I am not the least bit prepared for a bigger one. So, I'll be doing my homework, and getting a kit ready so next time we will be prepared.

1 comment:

  1. wow hawthorne epicenter! crazy! i'm glad you're all ok... the first quake i ever experienced was on the top floor of a very tall swaying building.... not fun! we've been having a lot of activity down here too, the pacific ocean is moving, i guess.

    ReplyDelete