Thursday, February 05, 2009

Black Bean Soup

I saw this recipe on Jenn's blog the other day, and it sounded so good, I just had to try it. I did make a few minor adjustments to spice it up a bit, so I'll put the recipe as Jenn had it in black, and my adjustments in green.

4-6 servings
25 min, 5 min prep

1 onion finely chopped
2 garlic gloves minced
2 celery ribs, finely chopped
1/4 large red bell pepper, finely chopped
1 (4 oz) can diced green chiles
2 small chicken bouillon cubes
1-1 1/2 cup boiling water
2 (15 oz) cans black beans, undrained
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 lemon, juice of (I was unclear as to what this was, I think I did 1/2 Tablespoon?) (I ended up using almost all the juice of a whole lemon)
1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch

1. In a pot, combine the first seven ingredients; simmer for 10 min.
2. Add half a can of black beans, salt and cumin; cook for 5 minutes
3. Puree soup. (I used my blender)
4. Add the rest of the beans to the soup
5. Combine the cornstarch with 1 1/2 tablespoons of water.
6. Add the lemon and the cornstarch to the soup; cook until thickened
7. At the end, I decided to throw in some frozen corn.

I served it over some leftover couscous, then put sour cream, avocado slices, and shredded cheese on top.

Seriously, this was some good stuff. Grant loved it, I loved it, even Kendall loved it. I'll definitely be making it again. Another adjustment I'll make next time is doubling the recipe, so we have plenty leftover. I'm all about leftovers.

1 comment:

  1. Great idea with the green chilies! I will definitely do that next time. I think the times Andy makes it he usually spices it up a bit, not sure with what. Sometimes he likes to spice it up and see if he can "pull one over" on me.

    ReplyDelete