Sunday, January 18, 2009

Best.Brownies.Ever.

I saw this recipe on the back of a bag of flour. The recipe name was "The Best Fudge Brownies Ever." I didn't believe them. I'm kind of a brownie snob - not to the point of making brownies from scratch - but just knowing what kind of store-bought brownie mix was my favorite. I didn't think these could really be that much better than those. So I tried the recipe out of spite.

I was proved wrong.

Yeah, you have to make them from scratch, but it really doesn't take all that long. And the extra love and time you put into them is SO worth it.

So here it is, courtesy of the back of a bag of King Arthur Flour:

8 ounces (2 sticks) unsalted butter
2 1/4 cups sugar
1 1/4 cups Dutch-process cocoa
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
4 large eggs
1 1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
12 ounces chocolate chips

1) Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9" x 13" pan

2) In a medium-sized microwave-safe bowl, or in a saucepan set over low heat, melt the butter, then add the sugar and stir to combine. Return the mixture to the heat (or microwave) briefly, just until it's hot (about 110°F to 120°F), but not bubbling; it'll become shiny looking as you stir it. Heating this mixture a second time will dissolve more of the sugar, which will yield a shiny top crust on your brownies.

3) Transfer the sugar mixture to a medium-sized mixing bowl, if you've heated it in a saucepan. Stir in the cocoa, salt, baking powder, and vanilla.

4) Whisk in the eggs, stirring until smooth.

5) Add the flour and chips, again stirring until smooth.

6) Spoon the batter into a lightly greased 9" x 13" pan.

So there it is. Try it. You'll thank me later. The only I can say about the recipe is, I don't know what dutch-process cocoa is, so I just used regular cocoa. And as far as using the King Arthur brand flour - I'm sure any flour will do just fine.

2 comments:

  1. gonna try it this week... it's our anniversary so i'm going to go all out and bake something!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:24 PM

    Yo momma must have been very happy!

    ReplyDelete