Tuesday, March 30, 2010

For the Love of Food!

I've had this ground chicken that I wanted to do something with, but didn't know what. So I did my favorite thing, and went to allrecipes.com, chose the option to search for ingredients, and found this great recipe. It's definitely a keeper!

Zesty Chicken Meatloaf

Ingredients
1 pound ground chicken
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups bread crumbs
3 tablespoons salsa
2 tablespoons Ranch-style salad dressing
1 (1.25 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
sour cream (optional)

Directions
1.Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease an 8x4 inch loaf pan.
2.In a large bowl, mix together the ground chicken, eggs, bread crumbs, salsa, salad dressing, and taco seasoning mix. Pack into the prepared loaf pan.
3.Bake for 1 hour in the preheated oven. Top with cheese, and serve with sour cream.

Based on the reviews, the only thing I did differently was to use a little less bread crumbs (I used about 1 - 1 1/4 cups), and a little more salsa (I had a little over 4 tablespoons left in the jar, so I just used what I had).

I made my dad's famous spanish rice to go with it, which I can't really post the recipe for, because it's definitely a watch-and-learn kind of thing. I just learned recently when we were in Pensacola.

Then last night, I made the salsa that Megan brought to our Laguna Playdate a couple weeks back. It's Pioneer Woman's recipe, and it is really good - especially if you love cilantro!

Restaurant Style Salsa

Ingredients
1 can (28 Ounce) Whole Tomatoes With Juice
2 cans (10 Ounce) Rotel (diced Tomatoes And Green Chilies)
¼ cups Chopped Onion
1 clove Garlic, Minced
1 whole Jalapeno, Quartered And Sliced Thin
¼ teaspoons Sugar
¼ teaspoons Salt
¼ teaspoons Ground Cumin
½ cups Cilantro (more To Taste!)
½ whole Lime Juice

Preparation Instructions
Combine whole tomatoes, Rotel, onion, jalapeno, garlic, sugar, salt, cumin, lime juice, and cilantro in a blender or food processor. Pulse until you get the salsa to the consistency you’d like—I do about 10 to 15 pulses. Test seasonings with a tortilla chip and adjust as needed.

I didn't have the jalapeno, but the rotel gave it a little spice.

Now to this morning, I decided to put eggs over spanish rice and slather it all with this delicious salsa. One of the best weekday breakfasts I've ever made myself!

1 comment:

  1. You're scaring me ---- one of your Dad's favorite things to do with rice is have it for breakfast with eggs!!! It all sounds delicious, I think I'll make the meatloaf next week.

    ReplyDelete